Escape From Prison Planet
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:44:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Visit EscapeFromPrisonPlanet.com
Forum Stats
393 Posts in 222 Topics by 39 Members
Latest Member: Tadegoon
Home Help Search Login Register
Escape From Prison Planet  |  The Main Boards  |  Top Secret  |  Nearly time for a website facelift :D
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nearly time for a website facelift :D  (Read 4263 times)
MediaGiant
Administrator

View Profile Escape From Prison Planet
« on: June 13, 2014, 07:33:02 PM »

Full 3D websites without a plugin, just what we've been waiting for...

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/03/18/mozilla-and-unity-bring-unity-game-engine-to-webgl/

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/04/29/on-the-future-of-web-publishing-in-unity/

Self publishing your game or graphics utility will be the wave of the future, no need for Steam or Humble Bundle, just get your PayPal button ready!

Why should we believe in a conspiratorial view of history? Because the conspirators usually win. Latest Link
Dredd
Administrator

View Profile Google+
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 02:41:47 AM »

Been following Emscripten porting of C+ demos, and understand the asm.js outline, but their slideshow links to a test browser (odinmonkey source package) that hasn't been updated for 15 months.
So recently i find myself experimenting with nodewebkit, meteor, or pythonjs ( http://pythonjs.blogspot.co.nz/ ) with three.js ..which is more towards a multiuser web.

Just read that on the dev side we'd need a third party (possibly paid) Unity 5 plugin to use the js compiler.. so that's another barrier for wider adoption.
"Put the glasses on! Put 'em on!"
MediaGiant
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 03:35:06 PM »

Hi hi, truly sorry I haven't been around lately. Non-stop programming here but the obsession is taking its toll and has minimal rewards. After weeks of work I get comments like this https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18544 (the review at the bottom of the page) so the whole scene is wearing me down. I feel like going bush and panning for gold until I become so grizzled that it scares tourists away :)

A quote from the link you posted... "Python has a big public relations problem, I still meet young programmers who sometimes have never even heard of Python." I'm in the same boat. I've used enough JS for web dev to appreciate that it is universally accepted but I still prefer the type safe languages like C++ and recently C# because of Unity3d. Could be that the marriage between WebGL and PythonJS will be a great match. Thanks for the link, I especially liked the video regarding the future of Python, great spokeswoman.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:45:59 PM by MediaGiant » Logged
Why should we believe in a conspiratorial view of history? Because the conspirators usually win. Latest Link
Dredd
Administrator

View Profile Google+
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 01:04:54 AM »

Ah, sad to see such a negative (almost abusive) comment on your work.
The web has gone through it's boom and bust stage, and reaching the "everyone can make their own app" stage.
We can't really compete with either big companies or people (such as ourselves) willing to work for next to nothing.
Except for a few months in Japan (very end of the dot-com boom) i also failed to capitalize on my early coding skills.
With everything else going on, it's enough to keep up with the mass of new stuff hitting the web on a daily basis
as making something that will largely be overlooked. So again, i come back to robotics being the next boom.
At least there will be lots of customizing hardware and software to people's unique requirements as a possible side earner.
It's still a couple of years off but it's definitely coming. The massive job arbitrage that will follow is the most interesting
part politically. There's lots to look forward to if we tech hacks can just survive this intermediary period. Perhaps going
bush for a few years, and coming back to "civilization" at the optimum time is another option.
MediaGiant
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 04:03:13 PM »

Fortunately the asset store moderators agreed with you and I and have removed the offensive review. The main criteria is that the code works, is bug free and fast enough to do the job. The rest is cosmetics and I've learnt far too many languages that are now historic curiosities to worry about correct coding styles or the latest conventions. By the time you are fully versed in a coding language another popular language takes its place; functional programming anyone? It's also hard to capitalize when companies like Google make services for modeling, website creation, analytics, etc, etc.

I agree that electronics/robotics are still burgeoning fields and will give rise to whole new markets for support personnel and other opportunities. The original definition of hacking will also be restored which first meant to tweak hardware to perform new tasks. There's no shortage of new fields coming out and you certainly have your ear to the ground for what is new and interesting judging from the research you have been following on your Google account. I know that science and industry will continue to pop out new technologies all the time and you'll be right there to capitalize on it. It's not so much about the money anyway, but what is most perplexing is that the gap between earning nothing and a basic income is far greater than the gap between earning a basic income and a fortune.

Wump World, one of the most influential books I had read as a young boy. Great to see your reference to it :) 

Dredd
Administrator

View Profile Google+
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 12:12:49 AM »

..what is most perplexing is that the gap between earning nothing and a basic income is far greater than the gap between earning a basic income and a fortune.

It's the minimal cost barrier.. if G+ offered people the option to donate a few thousand Satoshi (~10c) for +1-ing
exceptional posts it would really open up the mirco-payment market.
Last that i read, G were thinking to add Bitcoin to G-wallet.. so it still might happen.

Haha... we must have read the same school library book. ;0)
Jackzolor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 07:45:13 AM »

Resources for research for excellent content to the great success of it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Theme by nesianstyles | Buttons by Andrea